Thursday, January 24, 2008

Schumann G minor sonata

Why has it taken me so long to write about the G minor sonata? When one thinks Schumann, I'm willing to bet that he/she does not think "piano sonata." The sonatas are just not his best works. Even our own beloved professor said that Schumann's best pieces were those that are not entitled "sonata." I don't find the G minor sonata as inspiring as the other pieces by Schumann that we have studied.
I can't discredit it altogether though. I imagine the first movement must be fun to play. One of those pieces that just feels good in the hands. That's one reason why I love playing Schumann. I think that his music, although it's not as pianistic as Chopin for instance, just physically feels good to play.
The second movement is beautiful. The melody successfully conveys the "Autumn" reference, a song on which this movement is based. The third movement is an energy-filled scherzo ("Beethovenian energy"). Schumann seems to explore the range of the keyboard more than usual in this movement.
Perhaps it's just the last movement that I struggle with. It is an impetuous perpetual motion movement, which usually I can appreciate, but for some reason I am less than impressed with this one. Aside from the brief moments of contrast provided by the lyrical sections, there is not enough variation to hold my interest. Seems like a beast to perform.

No comments: